The Anubis Shrine was found behind the unwalled entrance which leads from the grave chamber (J) into the so-called “Store Room” (Ja). The shrine, with a figure of Anubis on top, was facing towards the west. Behind it was the Canopic chest with the Pharaoh’s canopic jars inside. During the work in the grave chamber, the entrance to the Store Room was blocked with wooden boards, so that the clearance work in the grave chamber would not damage the objects in the Store Room. Investigating and clearing the Store Room began in the fifth excavation season (22 September 1926 – 3 May 1927) and Carter first described the Anubis Shrine in his excavation journal on 23 October 1926.